Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Talking to Yourself

I am talking to myself a lot these days.  Several times walking down the streets of New York, I have recently found myself talking to myself. I usually outline the things I need to get done that day, or I prep for a conversation I need to have that day at work. Whatever the subject, it is definitely a new behavior and it is definitely something I attribute to a walking-centric life in New York.

Don't worry, I am not going crazy like those other people talking to themselves on the street. I keep it to a whisper, and I am not yelling about getting money from people or other nonesuch.  I see it more as the walking equivalent of  singing out loud to your stereo when driving somewhere.

I feel like it is actually a good thing, a way to maximize my time by multi-tasking walking and clearing my head.  When walking these streets as much as I do, I want to maximize that time.  I cannot really whip out the smartphone and get stuff done without running into people (though I do that too), and I am not one to wear an iPod everywhere...so I just end up talking in my head...and at some point, sometimes, out loud.

But softly.  So no one thinks I'm crazy.