Friday, August 28, 2009

Top 10 Reasons to Move to New York NOW. Part 3

I continue my list of the top 10 Reasons to Move to New York now, for the benefit of a friend of mine who is considering the move. Apparently, I do not need to continue all the way to Number 1, as my friend has accepted his New York based job, and should be here in a few months. What a powerful list I have made.

Nonetheless, here goes:


My Top 10 Reasons to Move to New York NOW

(Reasons 4 & 3)

4. The Pizza and Bagels. Most people say it is the water in New York, which is some of the purist in the world , that makes New York have the best pizza and bagels. Others say it is the strong history of amazing pizza and bagel chefs and restaurants. Whatever it is, it is absolutely true. Whether it is the crisp, slightly singed deliciousness of Co., or the corner Ray's Pizza, you can step into most any pizza joint and have some of the tastiest, flavorful pies on the planet.


3. The People. When I moved to New York, my born-and-bred Southern Mom warned me "Now, John, I want you to know, Northerners are different than you and me." She is right. It takes getting used to a strong Brooklyn or Jersey accent for a guy used to his soft "r"s and stretched monosyllabic words. But regardless of the accent you hear, the best thing about New York is its people. I just love being in a city where every person has a great story, where in a single room you may have not just lawyers and businessmen, but artists, choreographers, bankers, and bohemians. I love overhearing at the gym statements like "Well, be sure to stop by my opening tonight..." "I will, but you need to come see my show next week."

Truth be told, I find this to be a wonderfully friendly city. Granted, you may not get the sugary sweet "How about this weather" from the stranger sharing your elevator like you do in Atlanta, but people here will help you, they will watch over you (well, at least the doormen), and, once they warm up to you, they will be good friends, sort of like a dog that initially barks, but soon enough is sitting at your feet. I take more pride in the neighbor who finally says a gruff "Hey" to me in the morning after a few months of seeing him taking his dog out, because after all that time, he is letting me in...like I earned it or something. For some reason, that seems more of an achievement than a million people who say "Hi" the very first time our eyes meet, but never really mean it.



SO, two more to go...come back and see what they are.