Friday, August 5, 2011

You get a movie role..everyone gets a movie role.

So, I survived back surgery, and I successfully shared a 720 square foot apartment with my Mother for 30 days.  She was a saint, taking care of me the way only a mother can take care of you when you are sick.

Recovery from surgery has involved taking up pilates. I am not the most flexible guy in the world, and I have historically walked with my right foot turned out slightly.  OK, maybe a bit more than slightly.  My instructor has been working hard with me on both issues.  It is like having to re-learn how to move and carry my body, and I am enjoying it.

But this blog is supposed to be about New York, and the experience of living here.  I am going to try to recommit myself to just that.

Living in New York undoubtedly exposes you to to opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise get in Minneapolis or, mostly, even a Dallas or Salt Lake.  One of those is the constant stream of media production.  On any one day, Gossip Girl, CSI, White Collar and innumerable art films are being filmed here. 

Someone has to star in all of these productions, and lately it seems that means everyone around me is getting an acting gig.  My co-worker and office mate, Alene, just announced yesterday she is going to be in a movie after a casting agent saw her amateur comedy routine.  Another co worker was writing a children's book when her quasi-agent announced that the agency was recasting the project as a TV series.  Another good friend got asked to audition for a role in an art film.  None of them are actors by trade.

After a childhood filled with local community theater productions, I guess my big break is surely just around the next block...right?